Sunday, August 21, 2011

Attendance and Lunch Choice

Last time I eluded to this picture.  But what is it?


This is how I manage attendance and lunch count in my classroom.  It's situated right near the classroom door so when the boys and girls walk in, it's the first thing they (should) do.  While the board isn't complete yet--I still need to make the first card that contains each students' name (in the past I have put a picture on it too) to place in the front.




This is what the envelopes look like up close.  Each student is assigned a number (typically it goes in ABC order) and will remain theirs all year.  Inside each envelope are four cards.  Name card, cold lunch, choice #1, and choice #2.  




At the end of each day the name card is placed at the front, resetting the lunch cards.  I have a Lunch Card Organizer who has the task of telling me attendance each morning, counting up how many choice #1 and #2, and then resetting the cards daily.  


I love how hands-off this job is for me and I love that the kids really enjoy doing this one.  I usually do the name cards in white so I can see from afar if we have absences also.


I've learned my lesson in from years past not to do anything permanent before the first day of school--preferably before the first week.  I had a lot of move outs/ins this last year so the numbers never really worked out alphabetically but no big deal.


This upcoming week I'll place the month's lunch menu up just below "Welcome".  This way the kids can check or recheck lunch choices and make sure they know what they are selecting.  

6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking all summer how I could make something like this work for a middle school classroom. We don't have to turn in lunch choices, but I have been trying how to think of a way to use an envelope and maybe I could have a student distribute them and then the ones that remain, put make up work in.

    Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, could you just use two cards? One with their name on it and one that says present? Do you have the same kids all day or do they switch periods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We switch periods. I have four blocks ranging in size from 15 to 29 students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm, I think maybe having numbers represent your students? They'd have to be responsible for remembering their number. Or you could list 4 students on one card, in order of hours, to help them out. I'd recommend making sure the two cards are really different colors, then they pop out more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man. When I had my own class as a daycare teacher one of my favorite things was decorating and setting up my classroom. So fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it too! Especially when I can get in early without the time constraints/pressures. (o:

    ReplyDelete