Friday, August 19, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to this new venture for me.  I've blogged personally for a few years but after much scouring of the internet for things in my professional life I figured it was high time I share what I have too.


I believe in the sharing of ideas but making sure the credit is given for them.  First and foremost, I have to thank Becks for helping me decide on a name.  My idea here is to share what we're doing in our classroom, which happens to be a third grade room.  But it's that time of year where Back-to-School is all the rage and I was in the mood for some fresh ideas.


As my introductory entry I've decided to share a great find.  I had the idea in my mind--a cup or tumbler of sorts to hold supplies.  My classroom has tables, not desks, so there is no storage.  In the past my students have had "bins".  These ended up being cardboard book boxes--can we say disaster?  They tore, the bottoms fell out, and they tipped over. I've upgraded this year but I'll share that later.


Today I went to several stores in search of these supply cups.  At a couple of stores they had what I wanted but only four or five of them.  Another store had super cute mini buckets but they were $1.50 a pop.


Finally, a last ditch effort to Hobby Lobby and just as I was about to leave I spied another clearance section. 

These were cute and not exactly what I was looking for but guess what sealed the deal?


Sold!  

I had already purchased velcro dots to help affix them to the table so now it was time to get to work.  

First, I made sure to use rubbing alcohol on the table and the bin to remove any oils or what have you.  Then I affixed the velcro to the table and the bin--fuzzy part on the bin.  

 Voila!


Now to see if the daily supplies will fit.



Perfect!


I did have some bumps in the road.  There were only 24 of these bins and I needed 28.  Not sure why it hadn't dawned on me before to share bins between table partners but I'm glad it did.  This will save space and money.  While I originally wanted a harder plastic I realized these will be just as great because I could throw them in the dishwasher if I need to.


Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for my next share:



5 comments:

  1. P.S. I'd love to follow the new blog, but I can't find a "follow" button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks darlin! I think there was a bug--should be fixed now (o:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blog and very informative. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, will you be using any of these ideas in your classroom??? (o;

    ReplyDelete